Frequently Asked Questions
1. WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP?
Individual members consist of those persons engaged in work of a legal nature and who agree to comply with the NALS Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility.
2. HOW DO I BECOME A MEMBER?
You can use the secure online application, or you may choose to print out the application right from the web site or in Adobe PDF format and mail or fax it. Simply choose the method you want to apply, fill out the NALS Membership Application, select a method of payment, and submit your application. You then just sit back and will receive your new member package from the NALS Resource Center within four weeks.
Categories of membership:
Regular Member = $143.00 per year (includes state and local dues)
International Member = $175.00 per year
Retired Member = $53.00 per year
National Associate Member = $53.00 per year (educators, judges and attorneys)
National Student Member = $19.00 per year (must be a full-time student)
Lifetime Member = $1,500.00 (one time fee) (annual billing for state and local dues)
CLICK HERE for more information about joining NALS
3. WHY SHOULD I JOIN NALS?
Opportunities for professional and personal development are plenty when you join NALS.
Networking - NALS is a tri-level organization composed of NALS, your state association (NALS of Arizona), and your local chapter (NALS of Tucson & So. AZ). Each offers top-notch professional growth through seminars, quality publications, and local, state, regional and national networking.
Education - NALS offers several regional and national conferences each year packed with outstanding education and featuring excellent speakers from around the country. NALS of Arizona offers two annual educational conferences (Winter and Spring) and special educational events, such as the Survivor Course. NALS of Tucson & So. AZ offers more frequent monthly CLE After Hours meetings to give in-depth local educational coverage.
Additionally, NALS supports its members by providing the following benefits:
Affinity Programs – members enjoy discounts on a variety of goods and services.
Certification – accreditation for everyone, whether beginning a new career or enhancing your current one. ALS – the basic certification for legal professionals and PLS–the advanced certification for legal professionals. NALS also offers a certification dedicated to paralegals, Professional Paralegal
@Law Magazine – members receive this award-winning publication quarterly.
the NALS docket – a monthly electronic magazine on current topics of interest to legal support staff, delivered via e-mail.
E-News – NALS sends out a weekly electronic newsletter to all NALS members who provide an email address, which includes timely information and details of NALS activities, with links to educational information and topics of interest to legal support staff. Additionally, NALS of Tucson & So. AZ and NALS of Arizona, your local and state chapters, send out monthly eNews broadcasts to let you know more about what's going on your local area.
NALS Online Learning Center – Education and personal development offered on a variety of subjects with the added bonus of networking across the United States.
Newsletters - NALS of Tucson & So. AZ publishes The LegaLetter, a monthly newsletter, and NALS of Arizona publishes The Abstract, a seasonal newsletter, each of which are packed with up to date membership information, notices of local and state offered educational opportunities and conferences, and informative professional development and legal articles.
4. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE NALS ONLINE LEARNING CENTER?
Education, updated information on NALS and various legal topics, networking across the country are just a few of the benefits afforded our members who make it a point to participate in our weekly Tuesday and Wednesday night NALS Online Learning Center sessions. Each week a different topic is chosen as an educational subject or for discussion over the Internet lines.
CLICK HERE and check us out at the Online Learning Center!
5. WHO DO I CONTACT WITH REGARD TO MEMBERSHIP QUESTIONS?
Our local chapter's Vice President is in charge of membership on the local level. CLICK HERE to contact our Vice President for more information about joining NALS of Tucson & So. AZ. Otherwise, you may contact Saundra Bates, NALS Membership Services Manager, who is the full-time staff person at the NALS Resource Center in charge of membership services. Her contact information is as follows:
NALS Membership Services Manager
NALS Resource Center
8159 East 41st Street
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74145
6. WHEN WAS NALS FOUNDED AND WHO ARE THE MEMBERS?
Since 1929, NALS . . . the association for legal professionals has been and continues to be the premiere association for professional legal support staff, providing many opportunities to improve individual performance and enhance knowledge of the legal profession through continuing legal education, networking with peers, NALS publication @LAW, and certification. The name NALS was not adopted or incorporated until 1949.
CLICK HERE to learn more about the history of NALS and NALS of Tucson & So. AZ
7. WHAT DO THE FOLLOWING ACRONYMS MEAN?
- ALS: The certified ALS designation is an attainable goal for someone entering the legal support field. Demonstrate your acceptance of the challenge while improving your on-the-job skills in the areas of communication, accounting, office administration, ethics and legal procedures.
- PLS: The certified PLS designation is the best way to show off your expertise in areas including legal terminology and procedures, ethics, office procedures, and communication skills. That could mean more money and more opportunities for you, or it could mean doing a better job for your present employer!
- PP: Professional Paralegal, this is the newest of the NALS Certifications
- SMC: State Membership Chairman
- LMC: Local Membership Chairman
- CLE: Continuing Legal Education
- CLA: Certified Legal Assistant
- @Law: The Official NALS Magazine. As a member of NALS . . . the association for legal professionals, you will receive @LAW four times a year. Each issue features informative articles and time-saving resources. @LAW is so informative it won the coveted Gold Circle Award for Most Improved Magazine from the ASAE. The @LAW subscription rate for nonmembers of NALS is $40.00 per year. Subscribe now.
Frequently Asked Questions always seem to be a topic for discussion in membership. Not only do our current members have questions — we also find that potential members, new members, educators, students, attorneys, legal communities across the nation, and the general public have questions concerning NALS . . . the association for legal professionals. We hope that we have answered some of your most pressing questions.
Do you have other questions? Please ask us. Click here to send us an email through our Contact Form.